Mission & Objectives
The mission of Metropolitan BPW is to achieve equity for all women in the workplace through advocacy, education and information. This mission is shared by the North Carolina and National Foundation of Business & Professional Women.
Our objectives are to:
- elevate the standards for women in business and the professions
- bring about a spirit of cooperation among business and professional women in the United States
- extend opportunities to business and professional women through education
Metropolitan BPW also supports the legislative platforms adopted by BPW/North Carolina and BPW Foundation, including passage of the Equal Rights Amendment.
In addition, the organization supports:Economic Equity — ensure pay equity, equal educational and economic opportunities at all stages of life; and promote affordable, quality dependent care to ensure economic self-sufficiency.
Health — ensure reproductive choice and full access to all reproductive health services and education; ensure funds for research into women’s health needs; and encourage the development of a national healthcare plan.
Civil Rights — ensure equal rights and remedies for women in all phases of their lives; support affirmative action; eliminate sexual harassment and violence against women
Our group has a monthly breakfast meeting with an informative program. We meet the third Thursday of each month at Sugar Creek Brewing Company, 215 Southside Dr, Charlotte, NC. Networking begins at 7:30 am with the program beginning at 8:00am. Today, Metropolitan BPW has roughly 50 members representing a variety of businesses and professions. Monthly meetings focus on topics of interest to working women — topics that promote both the personal and professional development of our members. Opportunities to engage through service to our community are avilable at our Give Back events. .
Advocacy and Awareness - Women's Issues
- Access to current information on issues affecting women.
- Shaping, lobbying and influencing the world around us through resolutions, letters and briefs to governments at all levels.
- Influence at United Nations as Category One Status through our international federation.
- Debating the issues and developing background research for resolutions.
- Insight into the big picture of our mandate “improving the economic, social, and political status of women."