Book Club Discussion
We are so excited to be hosting our first EVER Book Club Event! This idea came up during our June luncheon meeting, and we finally decided on a book, date and location. There is NO cost to this event. All you need to bring is: you, your copy of the book, your ideas & thoughts…and a friend or colleague if you’d like.
Book: Lean In, Sheryl Sandburg COO Facebook
Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm
Location: Ronald McDonald House (1613 E Morehead St, Charlotte, NC 28207)
We have a lots of thoughts around concepts to cover from the book. Here are just a few of the ideas we plan to tackle when we get together to discuss. Keep these things in mind, make some notes of you’d like and bring them with you when we meet.
- What does “lean in” mean? Why do you think women need to be urged to lean in?
- The first three words in the book are “I got pregnant.” What do you think this signals about the kind of business book Lean In will be?
- Why is “ambitious” often considered a derogatory word when used to describe a woman but complimentary when used to describe a man?
- When negotiating, Sandberg tells women to use the word “we” rather than “I.” Why does the choice of pronoun make such a difference?
- What’syour take on Sandberg’s suggestion that we think of the path to a satisfying career as a jungle gym rather than a ladder?
- Sandberg argues that taking risks can be important in building a career. How have you approached risk-taking in your life?
- Sandberg argues that mentorship relationships rarely happen from asking strangers to mentor you, but rather from an opportunity to engage with someone in a more
substantive way. How has mentorship worked in your own experience?
We are looking forward to this first time event. We hope you’ll join us.